Thursday, July 16, 2009

Dorothy's Potato Bake

Dorothy is lovely 80+ woman I work with. This is truly an old-fashioned recipe. Calories and fat be darned!

8 large potatoes
4 Tbsp butter
2 cups heavy cream
1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese (ok, more)

Peel Potatoes and cut into french fry stips (you can use a contraption or a plain old knife.) Rinse and drain potatoes. Place into a 9 x 13 baking pan. Dot with butter. Salt and pepper to taste. (I tend to skip and add it at the table.) Pour cream over all. Cover with aluminum foil.

Bake at 350 degrees (no higher!) for 1.5 hours. Add the cheese during the last 15 minutes of cooking.

The first time I made this recipe, I thought I had screwed it up. The result is part cooked in cream, part steamed potatoes in a very rich sauce. No, the cream doesn't set, and it doesn't all cook into the potatoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment