Friday, November 18, 2011

Pecan Pie

I'm a Midwestern gal. My family did not eat pecan pie on Thanksgiving or any other time of the year, but I learned to love it when I worked at Willems's restaurant. Sticky, sweet, crunchy and creamy, I now am in charge of bringing the pies to my in-laws each Thanksgiving.

The first time I made pecan pie, I called my Aunt Mary Jo. She's the best cook in my dad's family, and fairly adventurous (I mean, she'd MADE a pecan pie...) When I called and asked for her recipe, her answer surprised me: "Do you have a bottle of Karo syrup?"

I did. The recipe was on the side of the bottle. This is that recipe. Simple and straightforward. Considering my semi-southern father-in-law likes it, I think it's good.

3 eggs, slightly beaten.
1 cup Karo Syrup (I say use light or dark)
1 cup sugar
2 tbsp melted butter
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/4 cups pecan (well, maybe a little more. I like pecans.)
1 9-inch unbaked or frozen deep dish pie crust

Combine first five ingredients until well-blended. Stir in pecans. Pour in pie crust. Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 50-55 minutes or until knife inserted halfway between center and edge comes out clean.

One final note: My semi-southern mother-in-law taught me how to properly pronounce "pecan" by telling me pee cans are what truckers use. (Bet you'll say it properly from now on.)

No comments:

Post a Comment