Saturday, April 2, 2011

One hour pizza dough

This isn't my favorite pizza dough recipe. But, my favorite recipe takes 2-3 hours. It's simply not practical for a weeknight. So, if my kids want homemade pizza on a weeknight, I use this one. I can go from yeast to eating pizza in about an hour.


1 package (2 1/2 tsps) active dry or instant yeast
1 cup warm water (110 - 115 degrees)
2 tbsps olive oil (I recently used an Italian herb infused olive oil. YUM)
1 tsp sugar
1/4 tsp salt
2 1/2 - 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
pizza toppings

In a large mixing bowl, dissolve yeast and sugar in warm water. Wait for the yeast to proof (bubble. If it doesn't bubble, it's dead, you need new yeast.) After the yeast proofs, add oil, salt and 1 1/2 cups flour. Beat the mixture until smooth. Stir in enough of the rest of the flour to form a stiff dough. Cover, and let rest for 10 minutes.


Preheat oven to 425 degrees

Spray a cookie sheet or pizza pan with non-stick spray (if using a pizza stone, DO NOT spray.) Place dough on pan and push and roll out to your desired thickness. Pinch edges Poke all over with a fork to prevent bubbles.

Bake for 12-15 minutes or until browned. Add toppings (let me recommend Margarita Pizza) Bake for 10-15 minutes more.

No comments:

Post a Comment