Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Cream Cheese Wontons

I LOVE cream cheese wontons. I think I like the homemade version even better than the ones I've eaten at Chinese buffets. There's more cream cheese, less wonton.
I got the original recipe from http://www.Cooks.com - I've modified it a little.

8 oz cream cheese
2 green onions, chopped
1/2 tsp light soy sauce
1/4 tsp garlic powder
Wontons wrappers (or egg roll wrappers cut in fourths)

Blend first four ingredients together. I like using the whisk attachment on my stand mixer.
Drop mixture by teaspoonfuls onto wonton wrappers. It seems easier to work when the cream cheese is cold.

Now, to seal the wonton wrappers...
Moisten two adjacent edges of the wonton wrappers.
Fold the wonton wrapper in half, bringing the two moist edges to the two dry edges, creating a triangle. Now, twist/fold two of the corners. The point of this is to bring the thinest part of the wrapper in, so when you fry then, they fry more evenly.

That's my method of wrapping... but, as I once read, if your wontons look like a drunk money made them, no one will complain... they'll still taste good.

Fry the wontons in hot oil until they're crispy and golden brown - about 60 to 90 seconds.

Then, wait a little bit before devouring, they are hot ya know!

And, if you run out of wonton wrappers, the cream cheese filling makes a mighty nice bagel smear.

No comments:

Post a Comment