Thursday, April 30, 2009

Alan's Pasta Salad

So, one evening my in-laws are entertaining in their backyard and I bring this pasta salad. My brother-in-law loves the stuff! I think he was on his third helping when he looked down at his plate, spit out his mouthful of salad and announced "There's peas in this stuff!" A bright one he is, one who hates peas.

1/4 cup water
1/2 cup sugar (no, you may not use splenda)
2 cups mayo (light is fine, fat-free even)

Bring the sugar and water to a boil, stirring constantly. Boil for one minute. Allow syrup to cool.

Once cool, stir the syrup into the mayo. Use it as a dressing over whatever ingredients you like. Mine usually includes:

1 lb of spiral pasta (or elbow macaroni)
A diced celery stalk or two, for crunch
A diced carrot or two, for color
Frozen peas (unless I'm making it for Alan)
Shredded or diced cheddar cheese
Crab Meat (when I have some)

I think the original recipe suggested tuna or onion as well. Really, it's hard to screw up the proportions. Feel free to make the dressing in advance for a picnic so it's easier to keep in your cooler.

1 comment:

  1. It's funny how food preferences are usually just a strange hangup and nothing to do with actually eating the food. :)

    ReplyDelete