Thursday, April 2, 2009

Classic Vanilla Buttercream Frosting

When I started this blog, the idea was that I'd just write about the food I'd prepared that day. Well, today I'm really doing that. Just finished making Banana Cake for a church function. Usually, I cheat and use canned frosting. None in the house... thus.... Classic Vanilla Buttercream Frosting... I have to admit, after snitching some, I'm wondering why I ever use the canned stuff anyway.

3 cups powdered sugar
1/3 cup stick butter or margarine, SOFTENED
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
1 to 2 tbsp milk

In your stand mixer, using the whisk attachment, mix the powdered sugar and butter on low speed. Add vanilla and 1 tablespoon milk. Keep whipping slowly. When all the ingredients seem to be well combined (and, um, won't go poof!) switch to the fastest speed and beat until smooth and spreadable.

If you end up with little crumbles, instead of frosting, add small amounts of milk until the frosting becomes silky.

If you add too much milk, add a little more powdered sugar. The key is small amounts.

Also, if your butter was too cold, the sugar won't properly mix with the butter, and you'll end up with little lumps in the frosting. Just wait until the butter warms up, then beat it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment